Thursday, January 26, 2012

My Grandmother, Elizabeth Geary

My family and I went to Arlington National Cemetery today to bury my Grandmother, affectionately known as Betty, alongside my Grandfather, James Geary in the Gardens of Stone. She was a sweet, beautiful lady and quite the talker to anyone that would listen. She passed away peacefully at her home 11 years after her husband and rejoins him today in Arlington. My sister, Alia Geary Roberts sang "I'll Be Seeing You" by Jo Stafford and my eyes welled up with tears of love and pride for both my grandparents. Someone at the service today remarked, "Behind every good man is a great woman." That is an understatement. My Grandmother saw my Grandfather through WWII, the Korean War and Vietnam too. Her likeness adorned his B-17 bomber, her namesake "The Betty Boop, Pistol Packin' Mama" and undoubtedly inspired him and countless others to win the war and return home to their loved ones. Her name will be carved onto the reverse of my Grandfather's headstone, and once again they will be together, side by side, forever.

Elizabeth "Betty" Geary

Col. James R. Geary, Jr.USAF

"It's a sweet ship, but the crew and I have decided to to stick it out with 'Betty'. "- My Grandfather after being presented with a brand new B-17 bomber in England.

The Betty Boop, Pistol Packin' Mama. A painting by William Phillips titled  "When Prayers are Answered" showing the crew returning from another dangerous daylight bombing run and being greeted by the beautiful sight of the white cliffs of Dover.

The opening credits to a great documentary about my Grandfather and his crew aboard the Betty Boop, Pistol Packin' mama.

No comments:

Post a Comment