Wednesday, May 23, 2012

SSSnake - Eastern Rat Snake Scotophis alleghaniensis

This afternoon I was getting ready to sit down in the yard to take some bird pictures and this guy slithered up alongside me.


Eastern Rat snakes can grow up to 8 feet long, this one is between 5 and 6 feet.





Usually they are pretty slow moving, but this one didn't want to be caught.


They like to come indoors this time of year and also early fall.


I always try and catch them when they are close to the house so my wife doesn't get any surprises when doing laundry in the basement.


Another reason I catch and relocate them is my dog Betty. She is a curious pup and I wouldn't want her to get bit while trying to take a closer look.


Although not venomous, a bite from one of these guys can be nasty. Remember to wash your hands after handling too. This one looks like he's trying to whistle.


After this photo op I walked him back to the woods and released him far from our house, but I'll probably see him again before the summer is up. Watch your step!

No comments:

Post a Comment