Saturday, August 13, 2011

Perseids

This years Perseid meteor shower peaked last night and early this morning. My wife and son and I went outside last night about ten o'clock to see the International Space Station pass overhead and hopefully catch a glimpse of the Perseid show. We think we saw the ISS, but aren't quite sure as we saw three different satellites passing overhead. As for the Perseids, we saw about 10 between us during the hour we stayed out back. While happily watching the brightly moonlit August sky, I set my camera up to take 3 sixty second exposures of the night sky every couple of minutes and managed to capture two different meteors and either a plane or a satellite, not sure which. Anyway, we had fun and nature's show was spectacular.

The night sky from Bob's backyard
 
 
 
 
 My first meteor photograph.Top left. I didn't see this one until I looked at the pictures on my computer monitor.


I'm not sure what this is, probably a plane or satellite.Click on the photo to enlarge, then look at the bottom middle going right to left.


This is my second lucky shot, middle left.


The Big Dipper
The Big Dipper hovers over the treeline of our backyard.


The beautiful August sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment